"...Shout joyfully to the LORD, all you lands; serve the LORD with gladness; come before him with joyful song."
People who join the Worship Commission generally have a love for the Lord at Mass. We come together once a month to discuss and recommend ways to enhance the liturgy. Worship is at the heart of all parish life, a time when the greatest number of members gather to proclaim the gospel and receive God’s life-giving power in Word and sacrament.
Our Lady of Sorrow’s Worship Commission’s primary task is to guide the continuing liturgical renewal of the parish, which is a communion with the Eucharist. It serves the parish in the areas of liturgy and ecumenism through its worship, educational and administrative responsibilities. Click here to learn more about the Worship Commission’s Role and Responsibilities.
Blessed John Paul II, referring to the Christifidelis Laici, said: “… the liturgical celebration is a sacred action not simply of the clergy, but of the entire assembly. It is a community action. It is, therefore, natural that the tasks not proper to the ordained ministers be filled by the lay faithful”.
The following Ministries provide a great opportunity to involve more members of the parish community in liturgical celebrations and work towards providing worship that has the power to transform the hearts and minds of God’s holy people through offering hospitable welcome, reverent and intentional ministers, enthusiastic singing, and full and conscious participation by the faithful.
- Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion – minister the Body and Blood of Christ at Sunday Mass, when needed, and to bring the Holy Eucharist to the sick and homebound
- Ministers of the Word /Lectors – proclaim the sacred Scriptures in the liturgy
- Sacristans – arranges everything necessary for the celebration of the Mass
- Altar Servers – assist and serve the Presider at Mass
- Ushers – welcome all who come to worship; helping all to find a place and feel as one assembly
- Music Ministry – provides liturgical music that lifts the hearts of the faithful to offer praise and thanksgiving to God and prepares the liturgical music repertoire of Our Lady of Sorrows that reflects the diversity of styles and forms that enrich church music today
- Art & Environment – enhance the liturgical environment with appropriate decorations, creates the atmosphere of prayer, and ensures the Church is configured so as to invite full, active, and conscious participation of the faithful as well as conveys the image of the gathered assembly, and facilitates liturgical action
If you would like to join the Worship Commission or anyone of these important ministries feel free to contact the front office where they can help you. 248-474-5720 or email@example.com.